Adding new Languages

Christian Couder Christian.Couder at alcove.fr
Mon Nov 6 14:27:05 GMT 2000

On Mon, Nov 06, 2000 at 02:50:26PM +0100, Roman Breuer wrote:
> Hi all,
> does anyone know how I could add a new language to the "Syntax
> Highlighting"-feature of KDevelop ?

Hi Roman,

If I recall well, the syntax highlighting in kdevelop 1.X is done
in the kwrite code.

You should have a look at the 'Highlight' classes in the /kdevelop/kwrite
directory.

Anyway it seems quite easy to add new langages because there are
already many langages that kwrite support. So you should also look at
the various kwrite codes (kwrite 1.X and 2.X) because you may find out
that kwrite already support syntax highlighting for the langage you want.

In this case you can probably easily port the kwrite code to kdevelop 1.X.

In case your langage is not already supported by any kwrite code, you can
either add support for your langage in kwrite 1.X and then port the changes
to kdevelop, or do it the other way around.

If you want to add support to your langage in kdevelop 2.X, then you only
need to add support for your langage in kwrite 2.X, because kdevelop 2.X
will use kwrite as a kpart, so all the syntax highlighting that kwrite supports
will be automatically available in kdevelop 2.X.

Bye,
Christian.