to jbb

Dmitry Semenov hatter at chollian.net
Tue Feb 29 02:28:24 GMT 2000

>Do you mean
>namespace foo {   int bar; };  and you cannot see bar?
>I can't get gdb to show that either.
> (gdb) print foo::bar
>No symbol "foo" in current context.
That's it, exactly. I never used gdb directly. So I believed it is a gdb bug
and show it just in case.

>> 3. Debugger lack to show data references values but show only it address.
> >There is no problem by manual adding. Showing address of reference type
data
> >before value is not so good because there is a screen space problem.
>Not sure I understand. Can you give example code, what is displayed, and
the
>way you'd prefer to see it.
Just write foo(int& a, int& b); and go inside of the body. Take a look on
the watch window. There are only reference addresses but not values. It's
possible to get values by double clicking. It will be despaired after next
debugger action. I use gcc 2.92 with 3th level of debugging

Best Regards, Dmitry Semenov
EMail: hatter at chollian.net

> 2. Debugger cannot see non-class data defined in the namespace.

or any variations thereof. The only way I've found so far is to look at
dissembled code then add *(int*)0x"address of bar" to the watch. There must
be
a simpler way...

>From scanning the gdb mailing list, Daniel Berlin writes (on a related
problem)
"Assuming mangling and everything is working fine, namespaces should have no
problem.
If they do, i'll make them have no problems.
:)"

Hi Daniel :-)
how should/does this work?

> 3. Debugger lack to show data references values but show only it address.
> There is no problem by manual adding. Showing address of reference type
data
> before value is not so good because there is a screen space problem.
Not sure I understand. Can you give example code, what is displayed, and the
way you'd prefer to see it.

> 4. Debugger If I add pointer data in the watch I have no  way to see any
> pointed data by mouse clicking. In case ADB* ptr; I have to add only
ptr[0]
> or  *ptr.
Looks like a bug. You'll have to use your suggested workaround in the
meantime.

--
Regards,

jbb