KDE 2 DEVELOPMENT USAGE WITH KDEVELOP 1.1

Ralf Nolden rnolden at kdevelop.de
Mon Feb 28 10:51:12 GMT 2000

Hi all,

due to recent mails which seem kind of redundant to me if someone read
the manuals ;-), I´ll write again a short instruction note on KDE 2
usage with KDevelop 1.1.

Here you go:

-READ THE TUTORIAL HANDBOOK
-READ IT AGAIN
-get sources
-install sources like described in THE TUTORIAL HANDBOOK

If you like a full install of KDE 2 whith KDE 1.x parallel, you have to
use --prefix=/your_kde2_installdir --with-qt-dir=/your_Qt2.1_path as
well with all other packages (kdebase, koffice etc.) on configure. This
will install everything where kde2 libs/headers are installed and
ensures that everything will compile if it is currently compilable under
normal circumstances. Mind that KDE2 is UNDER DEVELOPMENT so NO
GUARANTEE is made if it will compile/install/run. Also we can not
guarantee that KDevelop´s templates for KDE2 will compile due to API
changes in KDElibs (especially for KFileDialog, but you will notice that
soon ;-)

NOTE: Either change KFileDialog to QFileDialog´s methods or implement
network transparent file I/O with KIO and KURL using KFileDialogs *URL
static methods. The methods used in KDevelop´s templates are #if´ed out
by coolo and will return as soon as all main kde apps use KIO for
network transparency.

To actually run KDE 2, I´ve moved my KDE 1.x directory from /opt/kde to
/opt/kde1 and made a symlink /opt/kde pointing to /opt/kde1. I installed
KDE2 in /opt/kde2 and only have to su root, change symlink to point to
/opt/kde2, logout session and voila, KDM for KDE2 starts.

NOTE: KDE2 session management is currently under heavy development. Also
you may run into problems with KDE2 not running after login. Run
/opt/kde2/bin/dcopserver and /opt/kde2/bin/kbuildsycoca manually from a
console (hope you know how to do that ;-) This will rebuild the database
for KDE2 and everything should run now.

For development of KDE 2 apps with KDevelop 1.1 you only need Qt-2.1
(module qt-copy from cvs lets you compile KDE2, qt is sometimes out of
sync between KDE2 and Qt snapshots from troll.no) and KDE libs for KDE2.
If you want to code for Konqueror or KOffice, you need of course have
kdebase (for KOffice also koffice) installed.

If there are any questions left now, please be a bit more precise about
what you´re talking and what you didn´t understand. And READ THE
TUTORIAL !!!!
If you don´t want to read it with KDevelop´s help browser, fire up
Netscape and read it online at www.kdevelop.org.

Have fun,
hoping all questions are solved now,

Ralf