( was legal question )

Jerry Kreps jk05308 at navix.net
Wed Feb 16 22:49:56 GMT 2000

On 2/13/00, 3:31:06 PM, Serge Lussier <lusse at videotron.ca> wrote
regarding RE: ( was legal question ):

<snip>
> One thing I don't want is to hurt the (Q/L)GPL  "philosophy" in my
heart
> and in my soul.

> What I understand is that :
> - I cannot uses QTFree for writing software which I won't distribute.

On the contrary, you CAN use QTFree on software which you WON'T
distribute.
And, because you are NOT distributing it OUTSIDE your company, you can
distribute your binaries inside your company and still keep your
proprietary code secret.

>    -> I may separate the GUI from my hidden code, then release
>          the GUI code as a library ( which will be VERY useless! ).
>          But what happen with my program in its final form if I use
the
> public
>          library ? It's a circular confusion !
>          If this not hurt QPL, then the base libs of QTfree are also
> free for use. (???)

> - I cannot write QTFree software for explicit commercial profits.

TRUE.

>   -> I am not using my program for commercial use / profits.

GOOD!  Enjoy QTFree and code away at your heart's content.

> That's it.
> In conclusion, I cannot use QTFree in my condition without hurting
QPL.
> What I'm going to do is forget QT for my project and continue with my
> first
> idea: Our Java license.

You won't like Java.... too sloooowww!