Parser

John Zedlewski zedlwski at Princeton.EDU
Wed Feb 16 20:59:14 GMT 2000

> Or any other parser generater (thinking about antlr)
> Ben

I was looking into antlr and it seems quite cool, but it definitely has
something of a Java bias.  There isn't really a complete C++ grammar
available, although there is a "work in progress" that works with an
earlier generation of antlr.  I'm surprised that it's not easier to find
a high-quality, pre-written C++ grammar.  The one embedded in gcc is
pretty damn confusing, but it's certainly the most relevant, considering
how many KDevelop users are also g++ users.
  It's also worth looking into "Lemon"
(http://www.hwaci.com/sw/lemon/lemon.html) if you're interested in this
sort of thing.  It claims to be faster than bison, and it has some good
syntax extensions (like naming expressions rather than using $x),
without being unfamiliar to yacc-users.
  --JRZ