Further developments w.r.t. KDevelop documentation nightmare.

Christopher Molnar molnarc at nebsllc.com
Thu Feb 10 18:20:55 GMT 2000

Just wondering.... Have you contributed with coding or
any activity to the KDE project? Maybe you could help
fix some of those bugs in the buglog? I see on the tag
line that you are a programmer, how about it, see
anything you can fix?

Quoting Paul Derbyshire <derbyshire at globalserve.net>:

> At 09:41 AM 2/10/00 -0500, you wrote:
> >Man, what an attitude...
>
> Yes, what an attitude.
>
> My attitude is, if a job\'s worth doing it\'s worth
doing right.

> In the open source world I\'m not expecting snazzy
bells and whistles or
> even perfect spit and polish. But I don\'t think it\'s
unreasonable to expect
> (non-alpha) software to simply work, out of the box,
when the prerequisites
> are installed and functioning. And I don\'t think it\'s
unreasonable to get
> annoyed and express that annoyance if it doesn\'t.
>
> Lastly, I think it\'s quite reasonable to criticize
something or someone
> that has an obvious problem -- e.g. if a packager
doesn\'t bother to include
> the documentation in a package he ships, leaving the
user scratching his
> head with a partially non-functional product, this is
simply stupid, and I
> can\'t think of any reasonable response other than to
criticize that
> packager.
>
> Don\'t forget it\'s the squeaky wheel that gets the
grease.

> Besides, I\'m not just criticizing for the sake of
criticizing. I\'m also
> correcting the odd misleading remark (someone for
example implied that
> KDevelop could be expected to work perfectly out of
the box, which in the
> most recent non-alpha version, it clearly does not.
And I\'m trying to get
> information to further the end of making it actually
work. All of this, of
> course, would be unnecessary if the thing worked to
begin with -- it\'s a
> sign of a problem with software if that software\'s
mailing list is full of
> questions about how to get it to do something as
basic as display its own
> documentation. And you can\'t claim I\'m dense or
something about how to set
> it up, because multiple people have reported similar
difficulties, and
> there\'s even a bug on the kdevelop bug list about it,
although the bug
> ticket hasn\'t had any activity for over a year,
itself a bad sign when it\'s
> obviously not because the bug was resolved.
>
> --
>    .*.  \"Clouds are not spheres, mountains are not
cones, coastlines are
> not
> -()  <  circles, and bark is not smooth, nor does
lightning travel in a