Which versions of Qt or KDE2?

Ralf Nolden Ralf.Nolden at post.rwth-aachen.de
Mon Feb 7 18:08:01 GMT 2000

Ivan Martinez wrote:

> Hi,
> There is one thing I don't come to understand. KDevelop works with Qt
> 1.42 + KDE 1.1.x, but generates Qt 2.1 + KDE 2 applications. Which
> versions should I have installed then?. Does KDevelop run with the new
> versions?.
> Thanks in advance,

Yes, Kdevelop as well as old KDE runs with the new libraries *parallel*
installed with the old ones as well.

It works like this: you have KDE 1.x and KDevelop 1.1 installed with
qt-1.44. Say, you have KDE installed in /opt/kde and the qt
libs/doc/headers in /usr/lib/qt (like is for me). Get the Qt 2.1 and KDE
2 libraries. First, untar the qt library and do a QTDIR=/yourpath to the
untarred qt-2.1 sources export QTDIR <Enter> on a console or vt. Then do
a ./configure and make and everything should work to build Qt libs. Then
*copy* the libs in /qt-2.1/lib/ into somewhere in your LD_LIBRARY_PATH,
which would be e.g. /usr/lib, together with the symlinks created:
libqt.so.2, libqt.so.2.1 etc.NOT libqt.so.

Then untar the KDE libs and do a ./configure --with-qt-dir=/your path to
the untarred qt-2.1 sources --prefix=/home/xywhereever you like kdelibs
2 to install, say /opt/kde2. Then do a make and the kdelibs compile. If
you set prefix to /opt/kde2 you need to change to root and do make
install.

In KDevelop, go to the setup dialog and switch to the last page, "Path",
just behind "Documentation". There, enter the two path to the Qt-2.1
sources (where you untarred them) as well as the way to the KDE libs
installed /opt/kde2. This will add the --with-qt-dir and --prefix
automatically when you create a KDE2 /Qt2.x project- that's all the
magic behind it. The projects run, but you may encounter an error
message when testing and using a fileopen dialog of KDE, because the
dcopserver is not started. Just quit the message, you will get your
filename.

That's all. Leave everything else as it is and your're fine. If you've
more questions, just ask ;-)

Have fun,

Ralf

PS: the CVS version tutorial handbook has that in long form if anyone is
interested plus example code for a KDE 2 MDI app.