Installing only libraries of Qt 2.1?

Paul Derbyshire derbyshire at globalserve.net
Sun Feb 6 17:58:37 GMT 2000

At 04:38 PM 2/6/00 +0000, you wrote:
>How to install only the libraries of Qt 2.1? What I have is a single
>package (qt-2.1.0-snapshot-19991215.tar.gz) and compilation crashes in my
>computer.

Let me get this right, the *compilation* crashes?

What compiler are you using? gcc, egcs, pgcc? what version? If the compiler
ever gives "internal compiler error" messages or segfaults that's incorrect
behavior and should probably be reported as a compiler bug, especially if
it is consistent every time you try to compile a certain source, but there
are different bug report addresses for gcc, egcs, and pgcc, and getting
them mixed up can get you flamed :-)

(If the error is not consistent and happens sporadically compiling anything
large, it's a hardware problem -- flaky ram chip probably. A bad simm will
often first make its presence known by interfering with compute-intensive
things like large compilations, prime95/mprime, and seti at home, before
eventually causing frequent app faults for less compute-intensive and
eventually even for humdrum work. The same goes for an overheating cpu,
except that the problem isn't progressive, it's just there to some degree
or another, or absent. And huge compiles, e.g. kernel recompiles, will bomb
on a home PC perhaps one in every twenty times with perfect hardware due to
cosmic rays, that's how much CPU work is involved -- it is extremely
sensitive. NASA ought to be able to double the effectiveness of the Compton
Gamma Ray Observatory by replacing the expensive CCD array with a cheap
Linux box that keeps trying to compile copies of the kernel :-) -- there
are military grade hardware setups, e.g. Crays, Connection Machines, big
mainframes, and Macintoshes, that are better shielded and more robust ...
but you can't run linux on these :-) BTW that's why Macintosh computers are
so expensive -- it's the hardware and the export licensing. Macs are
subject to export control because of their usability in mission critical
military applications!)

--
   .*.  "Clouds are not spheres, mountains are not cones, coastlines are not
-()  <  circles, and bark is not smooth, nor does lightning travel in a
        -- B. Mandelbrot  |http://surf.to/pgd.net derbyshire at globalserve.net
Programmer & Humanist|ICQ: 10423848|