suggestion for auto breakpoints

Petr Sorfa petrs at sco.com
Thu Feb 3 16:50:50 GMT 2000

Hi Bernd,

> >I think the idea may have its merits. The problem is to determine
> >whether it needs to be developed at kdevelop level or at the debugger
> >(gdb) level. There are hidden joys of this. You can trace program
> >execution, function call count, function time usage and other uses.
>
> That's what gprof was made for.
Correct, but not to this level. For instance, the execution flow can be
interactive (in fact all the data can be controlled while the program is
executing). Also you actually do not have to generate profiled code.

For instance you could have a list of selected functions that turn a
different colour based on their call frequency in relation to other
functions in real time. Think of something like top or sar, but for
function calls rather than system resources/processes.

Petr
Petr Sorfa                  Software Engineer
Santa Cruz Operation (SCO)