Several subprojects

Mathias Puetz mpuetz at unm.edu
Tue Feb 1 20:58:23 GMT 2000

On Tue, 01 Feb 2000, you wrote:
>By some reason my last posting never reached the list :(
>
>Is it possible to have smaller subprojects to develop modules for a growing program suite?
>
>Let's have a look at the directory structure:
>
>$START/modules1                  // This is the first subproject to develop and test helpful modules
>                        ./modules1     // which is the standard subdir of this project
>$START/modules2                  // Another subproject with more modules here
>                        ./modules2     // which is the standard subdir of this project
>$START/project                      // This should be the main project
>                      ./project          // which is the standard subdir of project
>                      ./modules1      // which is a link to $START/modules1/modules1
>                      ./modules2      // which is a link to $START/modules2/modules2
>Maybe even for more binaries to be developed:
>$START/project 2                   // This should be the main project
>                      ./project2         // which is the standard subdir of project2
>                      ./modules1      // which is a link to $START/modules1/modules1
>                      ./modules2      // which is a link to $START/modules2/modules2
>
>This structure would be excellent bacause it enables me to have dedicated test environments and a nice and
>clean main project.
>Unfortunately I'm not the expert in kdevelop and here is my question: Will this confuse kdevelop and/or CVS?

Hi Werner,

unfortunately ,yes, at present it will confuse KDevelop. I tried something
very similar with my own projects, but right now KDevelop doesn't cut it (yet)
for such big projects.
You may still use Kdevelop and many of its benefits with the custom project
setup. You will have to manage your Makefiles yourself and have to compile
your modules by hand. F8 (make) will only work for your main project
unless your Makefiles take care of this. Be prepared to dig quite deep into
Kdevelop internals to be able to get what you want.
If your modules are fairly disjunct you may create a Kdevelop project
for each of these. You can create API documentation and add it to the
additional documentation directories, so you can still use the API docs
of one module while working on another project. Note the way I would
prefer it, but nontheless it worked for me.

Mathias

 ______________
|                                                  \
| Advanced Materials Lab (University of New Mexico) \
| 1001 University SE, Albuquerque, NM 87106         |
| phone: (505)272-7132    -O-    fax: (505)272-7336 |
|   \|/    email:       mpuetz at unm.edu       \|/    |
\___/o\________or puetz at mpip-mainz.mpg.de____/o\____/