Qt doubts

Richard Moore rich at ipso-facto.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Feb 1 02:25:21 GMT 2000

Mathias Puetz wrote:

> On Mon, 31 Jan 2000, you wrote:
> >Hello everybody
> >
> >       I'm doing some research on image processing: I'm acquiring frames from
> >the video-cassete through a frame grabber for post_processing.
> >
> >       The fist thing I'd like to do is to watch TV on my computer. I created
> >a window using the KDevelop wizard and I'm showing successive images
> >using the Qt function btblt(view,0,0,&image). Well, it works but it's a
> >bit slow. How could I improve the performance ?
> >
> >       By the way, I developed a device driver for the Data Translation DT3153
> >frame grabber: it's not full-featured yeat but it's functional. Where
> >could I publish it for the people who want to use it and perhaps help to
> >develop it ?
> Hi,
>
> You may want to contact the video4linux people. Try
>
> http://roadrunner.swansea.uk.linux.org/v4l.shtml
>
> as a starter. These guys should know how to get fast
> access to window buffers in X. Standard X Servers
> (as of release XFRee86 3.3.6) don't allow direct
> hardware access as far as I know, so with current
> X it will never be as fast as M$-Win.
> However there is hope, in the future XFree86 4.0
> will support direct streaming support to write
> directly into video ram (www.precisioninsight.com).
> You may want to join the XFree86 developer mailing
> list to find out more about this.

These are definitely the people to talk to. Direct hardware
access to the frame buffer is already done I think.  Alan Cox
is doing a lot of work on video4linux, so you might also want
to ask him. There is already a KwinTV app on ftp.kde.org that
uses the video4linux API to display tv pictures from TV cards
like the Haupage WinTV cards.

Rich.

     Richard Moore		rich at ipso-facto.freeserve.co.uk
http://www.robocast.com/	richard at robocast.com