Little bug in OpenGL project

W. Tasin tasin at e-technik.fh-muenchen.de
Tue Apr 4 20:53:46 BST 2000

Andreas Schlapbach wrote:

Hello Andreas,

> Hello
>
> Great work everybody. But here's a little bug. Trying to compile the
> OpenGl project leads to:
>
> /bin/sh ../libtool --silent --mode=link g++  -O0 -g3 -Wall  -o opengl
> -L/opt/kde/lib  -L/usr/X11R6/lib -rpath /opt/kde/lib -rpath
> /usr/X11R6/lib openglview.o opengldoc.o opengl.o main.o opengldoc.moc.o
> opengl.moc.o openglview.moc.o  -lkfile -lkfm -lkdeui -lkdecore -lqt
> -lqgl -lMesaGL -lXmu -lXext -lX11
> /usr/i486-linux/bin/ld: cannot open -lqgl: No such file or directory

thanks for the hint... it was an problem with configure, if you can
develop QT apps without -L<qt-lib-path> (shared libs and static qgl-lib
*sigh*).

So this should be corrected now.

> Looking at the Makefile tells why:
>
> all_includes = -I/opt/kde/include -I/usr/lib/qt/include
> -I/usr/X11R6/include
> all_libraries = -L/opt/kde/lib  -L/usr/X11R6/lib
> install_root =
> ..
> qt_includes = /usr/lib/qt/include
> qt_libraries =
> x_includes = /usr/X11R6/include
> x_libraries = /usr/X11R6/lib
>
> The directory with the qt-libraries is missing. Could somebody fix this?

done...

> Maybe a somewhat more extended example would be fine. If you're doing
> some bigger OpenGL project, the linking gets harder:
>
> LIBS            = -lXt -lXi -lXmu -lXext -lX11 -lglut -lMesaGLU -lMesaGL
> -lm
>
> Maybe this libraries should also be linked against in the example
> project.

I donĀ“t think this would be a good thing, this would mean everybody has
to have
these libraries installed to make it (even if they are not needed to
compile the template project).
So I prefer the minimalistic solution, which tries to link only those
libraries, which are really necessary for the template-project.

> And what about a comment in the source code that tells a new user that
> he first has to compile the qt-extensions?

I have done this, too. Now you will find a README.qgl in a newly created
NormalOGL project and configure will now stop if some of the following
GL libraries are missing:
-lqgl -lXmu -lMesaGL -lMesaGLU
or
-lqgl -lXmu -lGL -lGLU (on Solaris and others)

> Just wondering,
>
> Andreas
>
> --
> >> Linux - Where do you want to go tomorrow? <<
>
> Andreas Schlapbach
> mailto:schlpbch at iam.unibe.ch
> http://iamexwiwww.unibe.ch/studenten/schlpbch

Ciao