ANNOUNCE: New KDevelop Design

Catalin Climov catalin at pmsd.com
Thu Sep 30 11:35:21 BST 1999

----- Original Message -----
From: Kevin Burton <burton at relativity.yi.org>
To: <kdevelop at barney.cs.uni-potsdam.de>
Sent: Thursday, September 30, 1999 4:19 AM
Subject: Re: ANNOUNCE: New KDevelop Design

huh?

1.  I thought it was Sandy not Snady

:-). Sorry. Just a typo.

2.  I thought he was a she (may be a US thing but all the Sandy(s) I
have ever met have been female)  no offense if I was wrong.  E-mail can
be confusing..

I don't know whether Sandy is a he or a she. It doesn't really matter in
fact, but if anyone can bring some light, please do so...

3.  This sounds like a large undertaking.  Do you think a branch and
re-merge is managable?

Considering the following facts:
a. Actual KDevelop has poor modularization; it lacks in (true)
multi-language and plugin support.
b. The original team is working a lot on improving and bug solving on the
actual design/implementation. I doubt that they will have time for a
re-design soon (that would mean that for a long period of time KDevelop will
mark no visible progress).
c. Such a great tool as KDevelop is MUST have better design and
modularization.
We don't want (just) another IDE, we just want to improve KDevelop. We want
to (re)use the code that was already written. And about the manageability of
a branch and re-merge, it's just a matter of how much we want to do this (in
fact a matter of interests). And I think that our (common) interests are to
create the best IDE. In the worst case, we will have two IDE's instead of
one, at the end :-).

XXL.

Michael Bergmann wrote:

> Catalin Climov schrieb:
>
> > Hi KDevelopers,

> > BTW, I tried to contact Snady Meier a week ago and I got no answer from
him
> > (yet). I didn't see any postings on the mailing list from him, either.
Does