KDevelop 1.0beta3 patch - Objective-C support added

Andrew Morton morton at nortelnetworks.com
Sun Sep 26 13:52:25 BST 1999

Richard Dale wrote:

> I've spent the last week adding Objective-C support to KDevelop, and have put
> the results into a patch - Objective-C syntax highlighting, class
> browsing, '.m' files searched via the search panel, Objective-C added to the
> New class dialogue etc.
>
> I've also fixed some errors in KDevelop. For instance, if a comment is longer
> than 2048 characters the tokenizer will corrupt memory. The symptom in my case
> was that the wait cursor was turned on permanently when I included a header
> with an especially large comment.

Richard,

congratulations on all this work.

I too had a look at the 2048 char comment problem.  My fix was to turn
'comment' into a QString and dynamically grow it, but your approach is
good.

I suggest you bump the size of comment[] up to 16384, as this is the
maximum size which tokenizer.c can handle.

The _ideal_ fix is to remove '%option yylineno' from tokenizer.l and to
make 'comment' a QString.  This will allow for indefinitely large
comments and will, according to the flex docs, make a significantly
faster parser (will this offset the cost of the QString?  Dunno).

Now, excuse me for making this observation, but I've been on this list
for a little over a week and apart from a couple of comments from Bernd
I've seen no sign of the kdevelop developers.

I will be very interested to see what response your patch and G
Jungman's produce.  Certainly my little change to support HPUX fell into
a black hole.