Automatic testing

holle at almaden.ibm.com holle at almaden.ibm.com
Fri Sep 10 22:16:42 BST 1999

And another one:
http://pandonia.canberra.edu.au/SW.html (look for replayXt)

-holger

Jesus David Diaz Leal <david at jaleo.idecnet.com> on 10/09/99 11:39:21

Please respond to kdevelop at fara3.cs.uni-potsdam.de

To:   XFree86 at XFree86.org, kdevelop at barney.cs.uni-potsdam.de
cc:
Subject:  Automatic testing

Dear all,

    I am actually analyzing the possibility of developing a tool to
*record* (capture all the xevents) and *play* (raise all the xevents)
the execution of a second X application in order to register its
behavior and check automatically what has changed after a source code
modification. (as Rational Suite TestStudio does on W95, W98 & NT).

    I know how to  carry out the *play* action using the XSendEvent
function. My question is: Is it possible to intercept all xevents
proceeding from desktop for a specific application so I could record
them, in order to "replay" them later? I have checked the XPeekIfEvent X
function, but it collects just the xevents of the application itself,
not the xevents of other applications running in the same time on the
desktop. Could I possibly redirect this function in a way it would "spy"
on other applications, or, is there any other function which could do
this?

    Any comments are welcome...

    Best regards,

David.