tar archive (was: Re: KUML)

holle at almaden.ibm.com holle at almaden.ibm.com
Mon Oct 25 18:42:30 BST 1999

Sebastien:

did you transfer the tar file using command line ftp ? If so, did you switch
into "binary" mode before the transfer ? Do a "file kuml-19991019.tgz" and see
what it tells you. If it says something like "
gzipped ... " then it should be gzipped, but if it does not, it means your
archive is toast.
If you downloaded it with netscape, it is probably already ungzipped and the
"file ..." will yield a "tar archive ....". In that case please omit the "z"
from the switches for tar (i.e. : xvf) to only unpack, but not uncompress the
file. You might also rename the file and omit the ending ".gz" .
If you get told something like "data" or "empty" from the "file ..." command you
obviously have a "broken" archive there. Please retreive again.

- Holger

Jukka Vuokko <jvuokko at cs.Helsinki.FI> on 25/10/99 07:01:59

Please respond to kdevelop at barney.cs.uni-potsdam.de