QT/KDE problem: can't link a small KDE application configure error

Roland Knall roland.knall at gmx.net
Sun Oct 24 23:42:03 BST 1999

On Sun, 24 Oct 1999 you wrote:
> I have just reinstalled kdevelop beta 3 and am having an unrelated problem
> with my QT and KDE libraries. I am using kde 1.1.2 and qt 1.44 from RPMs I have
> seen this error before and but can't remember what I did to reconsile the
> problem.
>
> checking for kde libraries installed... configure: error: your system fails at
> linking a small KDE application! Check, if your compiler is installed correctly
> and if you have used the same compiler to compile Qt and kdelibs as you did use
> now
>
> any ideas?

Just had a funny little problem here. After sweaping the cvs version of kde2
from my disk, i found out, that he tried to access a dir called
/usr/local/lib/qt-1.4.4 (! second dot !) I think this happens in relation to
new kdelibs, which think that a qt dir called x.xx is misspelled and must be
corrected to x.x.x Should be corrected after reinstalling original rpms.

BTW, your problem can occur, 'cause KDEDIR and QTDIR are not set correctly. For
example if you have QT-1.44 installed under /usr/local/lib and KDE under /usr,
you will have to make these two entries into /etc/profile with
export KDEDIR=/usr
export QTDIR=/usr/local/lib/qt-1.44

Instead of writing them to /etc/profile, they can also stand in ~/.bash_profile
(if you use bash), but this will only take affect to your user account.

CU Roland