KDevelop killed my subdirectories

Markus Gustavsson mighty at fragzone.se
Mon Oct 18 13:57:36 BST 1999

>Help!
>
>KDevelop deleted subdirectory structure and
>killed my files.
>
>I installed KDevelop Beta 3 on a Debian/Hamm linux(2.0.34)
>system. After fixing a xgettext problem everything seemed
>to work ok. However , after having  opened a project file in
>~ src/Test I realised that NO project files where created and
>furthermore almost all subdirectories in ~src was deleted!!
>
>Aside from reporting this bizarre KDevelop behaviour
>I would be EXTREMELY grateful for any suggestions
>on how to regenerate the deleted information without
>spending days browsing through  data blocks on my
>6Gb harddisc. And if browsing is the only way does the
>exist any good tools, apart from those described in the
>Linux Ext2fs undeletion mini-HOWTO.
>
>Please feel free to mail me directly.
>
>Lars Jensen

1. I've been using Beta3 for houndreds of hours allready, creating tons of
different project, and
    I don't think there's any chanse in the world theese files were deleted
by KDevelop.

2. Again as someone said in a previous mail yesterday.. Even though I don't
think the files were
    deleted by KDevelop, the word "BETA" still has it's meaning, which is,
you can't come complaining
    to the developers if something goes wrong, as you could have done if it
had been a stable release.

3. I don't know how you deleted theese files, pherhaps you forgot what
rm -rf does, but anyways, I don't
    think there's any good way to restore them if they are erased from the
disc.. If you have plenty of spare
    time, you can allways use 'dd' to create a whole file from the disc, and
search through the whole file
    'more' to find textstrings and other usefull stuff..

4. Don't blame the KDevelop staff for this rude mail, I'm just an external
pain in the ass :)