ANNOUNCE: New KDevelop Design

Sandy Meier smeier at rz.uni-potsdam.de
Sat Oct 2 04:37:37 BST 1999

Hi!

First sorry to all for my late answer and contribution to this discussion. I
hope we will find the best solution for all participants.

> c) the new branch starts from scratch with KOM/OP as a base and takes
> needed codeparts from the current branch, such as some classes, the
> parser, treeviews etc.

As far as I know the KDE team is planning to drop parts of the current
CORBA/KOM/OP technology and replace it with something other (canossa).
Nevertheless some parts of KDE2 will use CORBA but it's not recommend to design
a complete app on this approach. See
http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-core-devel&m=93870838307236&w=2 for detailed
informations.

> we would have to spend some time to learn about it. Not to speak of the
> plugins for other languages.
>
> If that would make anyone happy, I would agree with the idea of a new
> branch, so we can all take part on this.
Yes I agree, IF we (Catalin's team,kdevelop team and some others) will
implement a new KDevelop, than we should take all part on this.

> - KOM/OP design
see above
very difficult :-( see http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-core-devel&m=93871452415241&w=2
> - language team
> - project interfaces team
>
> Let's start discussing it. Do we want a complete restart or not ?

I would prefer to work on the existing codebase, that means an IDE only for
C/C++ and QT/KDE.
Why do we need an IDE for all programming languages? There are already
nice IDE's for Java (netbeans,freebuilder,codeguide) and say Python (IDLE).
And if you want to code for KDE 99% of the users will take C++, or?
I think, if we concentrate our effort on C/C++ we can add an integrated
debugger, dockwidget, MDI , intellisense, plugins and so on in the next months.
But I doubt that we can do that, if we start from scratch by taking some
reusable code from the current KDevelop. Even with the help of the Catalin's
team.

Ciao!

Sandy

P.S. Maybe I should setup a new mailinglist to reduse traffic on this list?