ANNOUNCE: New KDevelop Design

Catalin Climov catalin at pmsd.com
Fri Oct 1 10:27:32 BST 1999

----- Original Message -----
From: Darius Stachow <shiva at dialup.nacamar.de>
To: KDevelop <kdevelop at barney.cs.uni-potsdam.de>
Sent: Thursday, September 30, 1999 12:42 PM
Subject: Re: ANNOUNCE: New KDevelop Design

> Hi !!
>
> On Wed, 29 Sep 1999, you wrote:
>
> >     I have started (together with some other programmers) to work on a
new
> > design for KDevelop. This will include KOM/OP architecture,
modularization,
> > plugin support, public standards and API(s). So if any of you has ideas,
or
> > wants some features to be included in the new design, just drop me a
mail.
> > Any contributions are wellcome.
> This is great !!
>
> I am working on KUML.
> If I get access to the parsed class data I could use it for the reverse
> engineerung.
>
> Do the new design of kdevelop will be language independent ?
> I think that you should prepare the design to be able to work with several
> languages (At least C++ and Java)
Yes, we plan to make KDevelop language independent. A language will be just
a set of plugins that will cooperate. Of course, we want to provide default
implementations for all the interfaces the new API will expose. As soon as
the KDevelop kernel is finished, we will start working on Python, Perl,
Java, and even Cobol. We also are discussing the possibility to "port"
VisualBasic.

Regards,
XXL.