KDevelop & SuSe 6.3

Robert Robert
Tue Nov 30 05:17:12 GMT 1999

and on Mon, 29, Nov 1999, Robert Newton wrote:
> Sorry but no answer yet. I get the same problem on
> with my Redhat 5.2 system and so far I haven't
> solved it. I also have kde-support installed. I noted,
> however, in kde documentation
> that various libraries (including libgif) are not included in
> binary rpm's where the system itself supplies them.

Yes, I too noticed that many binaries that are needed are not included
in the appropriate RPM's.  For this reason, I try to stay away from RPM's
and only download source to compile and _install myself_.

> Assuming this is the correct library all I need to know is how to
> get configure to recognize it. Unfortunately I'm not an auto-config
> expert and I'm not sure exactly what is being looked for when I get
> the giflib30 missing error.

The library that is needed is the gif library from the kdesupport package.
This package (source) can be downloaded from the kde ftp server,
and I assume many mirrors.

AFAIK this library, libgif.so.3.0.0 (as well as the static versions) pertains
to KDE's support of GIF files and has nothing to do with the UNGIF libs.
I could be wrong!

All 'configure' is doing when checking for this lib is compiling a small
program using a function from this lib (GifLastError()).  If the compile works,
the lib must be there.  (i'm not a config expert either)  If the library is in one
of the directories where libs are supposed to be (same place as KDE libs or
QT libs or X11 libs or glibc libs or ....well, you know), then configure
(really gcc or ld) will find the lib.

So.......get the 'kdesupport' source package, compile and install it, and your
problems have probably only just begun.  Other KDE pre-compiled apps or libs
may be unhappy with the newly compiled ones or... maybe not.  Watch out for
the libjpeg in the kdesupport package.  It may overwrite other jpeg/libjpeg stuff,
especially a file called jconfig.h.

Good Luck! (Hope this helps)

--
Robert M. Wheat, Jr.