Compilation mess!!

Dawit Alemayehu adawit at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 26 01:24:29 BST 1999

On Fri, 25 Jun 1999, you wrote:
> I downloaded the snapshots of KDE (19990624) and kdevelop (19990618)
> I had to download qt 2.0 because kde dosen't compile otherwise.

Did you get this form the ftp site ?  You must have got the head branch which
will only work with KDE 2.0.  Please be aware that you need more than qt 2.0 to
compile the sources from the head branch. It also needs MICO as CORBA is used
heavily.  Moreover, the head branch is under heavy development and is not as
stable as KDE 1.x.  If I were you, I would try to obtain a copy of KDE 1.1.1
instead.  Try ftp://ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/stable/1.1.1/distribution/.

> Well, compiled qt, kdesupport; kdelibs doesn't compile because gcc/g++
> doesn't support namespaces (I have RH5.1).
> kdesdk.... forget about it.
> Download egcs 1.1.3 .... nope too much dependencies (GLIBC2.1
> ???!!!????).

See above ....

> WHAT??????????? Where is the configure script??? There is configure.in
> but.... nothing else.

Did you try make -f Makefile.cvs or make -f Makefile.dist first ?

> How can I compile kdevelop???

See above

> Do I need the kde snapshot??? Do I need qt 2.0??

AFAIK you don't need neither the head branch snapshot of KDE nor Qt 2.0 for
compiling kdevelop

Regards,
Dawit A.