A parsing proposal

Roberto Alsina ralsina at unl.edu.ar
Wed Jun 23 10:51:02 BST 1999

On Wed, 23 Jun 1999, Jonas Nordin wrote:

> > I've been wondering if we should find a way to serialize parsing info to a
> > file.  When I boot up VC++, even if I have a helluva lot of classes, they
> > seem to show up almost instantly.  If we could do this (and save it in the
> > project file or something parallel to it), then we could pre-parse all of the
> > QT and KDElibs files.  Loading them would then be much faster and the bootup
> > would be greatly accelerated.
>
> This is already on it's way. I use a gdbm database to store the classes. I just
> convert them to plain text more or less. Works great. I haven't had the time
> to complete it yet though.

Before the GPL police knocks at your door (as they did with me): the FSF
will complain about you using gdbm in a program that links to Qt.

I'd say use libdb, librdb (it's in kdesupport) or something else :-P

 `9_ 9  )   `-. (    ).`-._.`)  ralsina at unl.edu.ar
 (_Y_.)' ._   ) `._`.  " -.-'   Centro de Telematica
  _..`-'_..-_/ /-'_.'           Universidad Nacional del Litoral
(l)-'' ((i).' ((!.'             Santa Fe - Argentina
                                KDE Developer (MFCH)
An opinion you can't give reasons for is not an opinion worth having (I)