Code-completation Was: Intellisense (tm)

Suran suran at gmx.net
Tue Jun 22 15:08:06 BST 1999

"Pahan, Szabolcs" wrote:

> >Anyone have more suggestions?
> Hi,
>
>     [snip]
>
> To the syntax completion:
> This is a really good thing, however, there are different conventions
> how to place brackets. E.g.:
>
> a.) if () {
>        code
>     }
>
> b.) if ()
>     {
>        code
>     }
> c.) if ()
>        {
>        code
>        }
> This could be also an option for the user. You can see it working in
> MultiEdit.

That idea I really like. I find GNU-standart code with their

if(xyzu == 4){
while(...) {
}
}

pretty difficult to read when there are many nested environments and in
VC
he allways completes my code this way, changes my indentions (tabs) and
so.
It's a real fight against the editor just because I've other opinions of
what's readable at a first glance and what's not.
It's really just a lot of Options:

1) use
	if(){
or
	if () {

2) use
	if(){
	 code
or
	if()
	{
	 code
3) use
	if()
	  {
           code
or
	if()
	  {code
4) use
	if()
	{
or
	if()
	  {

A possible way of confiruration would be to use 2 text-edits with a
template for functions and other statements the user can type in his way
of doing things as well as a list-box above to select
some pre-defines.
It would look like:

/                     editor-preferences           [?]\
[ tab1 [ tab1 [ tab [   code-completation    ] tab]

 [x] enable code-completation
 [ ] enable Intellisense(not implemented yet)

 Coding-Style for general statements:
 profile: [GNU-STANDART [V]]
 "
 STATEMENT ( CONDITION ) {
          CODE
         }
 "

 Coding-Style for functions:
 profile: [USER-DEFINED [V]]
 "
 RTYPE FUNCTION ( ARG1
 		 ARG2)
 {
  CODE
 "
   [Cancel]         [OK]          [Apply]
\____________________________________________/
("CONDITION" is long enaugh a word to differ between 0-7 absolute
indentions per level and 0-1
         indentions relative to the command-name)
 (Maybe use another word for Intellisense)

As for the braces-part:
I'd implement this myself but I don't have much time these weeks, I'll
try anyway. :)

Do I have to do it in the editor-code derived from KWrite or is there
some kind of
code getting the input before the editor so it could be made independent
from the
editor if we decide to make it replacable?

> Szabczy

---
suran at gmx.net