Intellisense (tm)

JohnZed at aol.com JohnZed at aol.com
Mon Jun 21 22:11:44 BST 1999

Well, the key thing about syntax completion/intellisense in Visual C++,
Visual Basic, Slick Edit, CodeWright, etc. is that you can type in a variable
name, followed by a . or :: or -> and all of the relevant methods/attributes
pop up, alphabetized, in a little scrolling window.  As you continue to type,
it jumps to the position in the method list that matches what you've been
typing.  So, let's say I have:  " KTreeList tree;" and then I type on the
next line "tree." immediately a little, unobtrusive box pops up right below
where I'm typing that lists the public methods of KTreeList.  When I go on to
make it "tree.ad", the box would automatically scroll to the part that shows
methods beginning with "ad", such as addItem, etc.  This is an amazing
feature if you only use a class a couple of times and you can't remember if
it's "setTextItem", "setText", "setItemText" or what.  If you're really lazy,
most editors just let you hit tab or whatever to automatically fill in the
word currently highlighted in that box.  Once you've entered a method, by
whatever means, it shows you all the overloaded forms for that method.  This
has saved me so much time searching through documentation over the past
years, I can even tell you.  Of course, much as I (and many others) love this
feature, you'd have to be able to configure it and turn it off if you want to.
Some of the scope resolution parts of this could be tough, but the classes
are already parsed for us.  I have a little bit of code already in the works,
but any parsing/kdevelop experts could help a lot.
--JZ