Intellisense -- Using a Database

Matthew Adams ma at lsr.co.uk
Wed Jul 7 10:53:59 BST 1999

I don't want to be contradictory, but just glancing at the content of the
(700k) pdb I have for one small project, it appears to contain every symbol
used in the applet in some structured form (including things such as all my
template resolutions and what have you).    This, however, is different from
the 'browser' file which can also be generated (which contains much the same
information in a different structure), which is different again from the
stuff used for syntax highlighting.  What exactly do you mean by
'configuration'?  I can delete the pdb file and it is gamely reconstructed
during compilation (indeed, deleting the pdb file is necessary when the
compiler gets its knickers in a twist over what needs recompilation and what
doesn't).  You are right that the code completion in VC++ doesn't depend
entirely on a database (since it works a little before you have compiled
anything), but it breaks horribly when compiles go bad, because it does pull
stuff out of (presumably) the pdb file if it is available.

The VC++ approach appears to be multi-faceted, which is an approach to
consider. (However, it has slowed the development environment down to such a
crawl for projects of more than a few dozen classes that I now prefer using
Rational Rose, UltraEdit32 and no code completion/IDE for 'proper' work -
particularly now the MSDN help browser has migrated out of the IDE, anyway).

Matthew Adams
Development Project Manager
EG&G Wallac LSR