More wishes & suggestions

Oliver Eichler oliver.eichler at dspsolutions.de
Wed Aug 25 16:58:00 BST 1999

Hi

I am currently using KDevelop for a small C console project. As the overall
experience is very pleasant, there are still a few very annoying things in
KDevelop. Most of them concern the inter-action between KDevelop and other
applications used by KDevelop. Some of them concern these used application
only, but as I guess that their developers read this list, too, I write them,
too.

- KDevelop: Switching between vertical selection and normal selection via option
menu isn´t very good. What about the CodeWright approach, using the right mouse
button for vertical selection? (or hold down a key..)

- KWrite: I would appreciate auto formating my code. I am pretty flexible on how
the formating looks like, as long as I do not have to think about it. I am a
little bit spoiled by the GRASP editor. This does a great job in code formating
plus makeing it more readable by adding flowchart symbols. Maybe a feature for
the future ?

- KDbg: Why does it close the class/file view each time it is engaged? This
s... umm.. is annoying.

- KDbg: The xterm has top level focus after KDbg is started. One additional
sensless click. Yes, I tried the -iconic switch.

- KDbg: After adding a variable to watch the add line should clear itself for
the next variable line. It would be great if KDbg would remember those
variables for the next session (like it does with break points).

- KDevelop KDbg: Wouldn´t it be nice to leave the class/file view open and use
it as a sourcefile selector for KDbg?

- KDevelop: Multiple Tool views. I use the ccmalloc libary for detecting memory
leaks. Thus I got KTail for the log file running in the tool view. However I
would love to debug, too, without closing KTail and vice versa. What about
appending the Tool dialog by two check boxes? One for the app is started in
it´s own tool window or the main tool window. And one to select multiple
instances as I would love to have several Ktail running but only one KDbg. By
the way: I really like this swallow feature. The tool dialog is missing an edit
button.

- KDoc: No support for C :( ?

- KDevelop: Adding documentation headers via template for functions and
objects. Simply by selecting the function or object. This could work together
with KDoc, or be as simple as it can be done with CodeWright.

- KDevelop: I would love to rename my files within the file view. At the moment
I have to copy them to a version with the new name, add them to the project,
delete the old version via file view and to pray that the makefile gets no
hickup. (it does on header files)

Ok, sofar my list from the users point of view.

oliver

---
Oliver Eichler, Dipl.-Ing.

DSP Solutions
Ingenieure Kellermann, Voigt, Hoepfl, Eichler & Weidner
Partnerschaft