Some configuration suggestions...

A. Hirche hirche at informatik.uni-essen.de
Tue Aug 3 15:48:44 BST 1999

Hi!

I just successfully installed kdevelop-1.0b1. It looks good, but there
are some
things you might want to change:

(1) If kdevelop depends on some software, integrate that dependency into
    the configure script. If the package is not available, have
    configure settle for the 2nd best alternative or abort.
    I for my part consider printing a vital functionality ;-)

(2) Try to remove dependencies on special software packages.
    Or allow the user to provide some alternative. I like
    to use mpage instead of a2ps/enscript.
    If kdevelop relies on some other package to provide a
    certain functionality, it is probably worth considering
    to integrate that functionality into kdevelop (I suppose,
    that is what is going to happen anyway).

(3) The post-installation-script, that tries to find some required
software
    when kdevelop is started for the first time, is not too smart.
    I have installed almost everything I like under /opt/software
    using cmod to switch between incompatible software or different
releases
    (cmod alters the environment). The post-installation-script
    did not even bother to have a look at the modified environment but
    used some default-environment. Thus, I ended up with the
    pre-installed QT, KDE, make, gcc, etc.
    Good thing it is possible to change a couple of things manually.

(4) Good, no: great, what am I saying: FANTASTIC work!

Cheers,

Axel