KDevelop 1.0 Beta 1 (a bit off-topic)

Stefan Heidrich sheidric at rz.uni-potsdam.de
Mon Aug 2 14:04:50 BST 1999

On Mon, 02 Aug 1999, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I have a small complaint and a suggestion. Please don't take me wrong, I
>think Kdevelop is a great piece of software and that you are doing a
>great job.
>However, I do find this jump from 0.4 to 1.0 Beta 1 a bit odd. Kdevelop
>certainly deserves to be tagged with the later label, but why was it 0.4
>before?
>Maybe it's just me, but it gives a strange impression about the whole
>project (the same GNOME did with their jump from 0.3 to 0.99). It seems
>that open source developers are very conservative at first with their
>numbering of releases (afraid of strong reactions?),  but become
>suddenly bolder at the end of development cycle (gained
>self-confidence?).
>But maybe the real reason is the lack of clear road map. I think that
>you know what you want to put in your product, but not when. It would be
>nice, if there was a plan like (this one is completely made up):
>0.5 included GUI builder
>0.7 included programming tools for working with databases
>0.9 feature full, but contains well known showstopers for 2.0
>That way it would be easier for everybody to know, where this ship is
>going and how far is it on its way.
>
>Maybe I am mistaken and a plan like this exist (and I've just missed it)
>or my idea is just stupid. Anyway, this is something I would love to see
>more in open source world. If I have no idea about what's coming and to
>some extent when, it gets harder to do complementary development (tools
>that would complement Kdevelop for instance).
>
>Thank you for everything.
>
>Best regards,
>
>	Marko

Hi Marko,

The first is, that Kdevelop 0.3 have features that should come with 0.4 and 0.5
..
And 0.4 has features the should come in 0.5 and 0.6 and later.
The features came faster than we thought.
So the features we have planed for 1.0 are in KDevelop now.
Kdevelop has all you need to write a program.

The second is we would porting kdevelop to qt2.0 and kde2.

The thirth is that kdevelop would be integrated in kde1.2 (or kde1.1.2).

Bye
	Stefan