Retirement of Drupal 7/8 sites (kdevelop, skrooge, blogs, behindkde)

Shlomi Fish shlomif at shlomifish.org
Sun Jan 15 14:08:55 GMT 2023

Hi Paul,

On Sun, 15 Jan 2023 10:21:50 +0100
Paul Brown <paul.brown at kde.org> wrote:

> On Sunday, 15 January 2023 08:04:18 CET Ben Cooksley wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > For some time now it has been known to us that the upgrade path from one
> > given Drupal major version to the next is usually a very difficult road
> > with lots of breakage involved.
> > The conversion from Drupal 7 or 8 to Drupal 9 is no different in this
> > regard - basically being a content export and then reimport.
> >
> > Due to the level of disruption and risk of breakage involved this isn't
> > something done lightly but with the end of support for Drupal 8 and the
> > incoming end of support for Drupal 7 we need to take action on this sooner
> > rather later.
> >
> > At this time I'm only focusing on the smaller sites, so akademy.kde.org (in
> > the process of moving to Hugo) and dot.kde.org (to be figured out) are out
> > of scope for this email.
> >
> > We currently have the following sites running on Drupal 7/8:
> > - dot.kde.org
> > - akademy.kde.org
> > - kdevelop.org
> > - skrooge.org
> > - behindkde.org
> > - blogs.kde.org
> >
> > Given that promo is currently not making active use of the site, at this
> > time my intention is to create a static archive of behindkde.org.
> >
> > In the case of KDevelop and Skrooge, it would make the most sense to
> > convert them both into Hugo websites to minimise the long term maintenance
> > cost and to make them part of the KDE family of sites.
> > If anyone would like to work on this please contact me and I will arrange
> > for a sanitized database copy to be made available to you.
> >
> > In the event that doesn't happen, converting them into static sites seems
> > like the best path forward.
>
> Hi Ben,
>
> Drupal is, not to put too fine a point on it, terrible in every conceivable
> way and we dread having to post to the dot. We welcome the transition away
> from it.
>
> Promo has repeatedly asked for WordPress to supersede Drupal for the Dot, as
> we have found creating content for a Hugo site (something we do at least
> every 2 months for KDE Gear and Plasma announcements) difficult, inflexible,
> slow, convoluted, and error-prone. So not much better than Drupal.
>
> As there are already several WordPress-based websites on the KDE
> infrastructure, such as hattps://labplot.kde.org and https://kdenlive.org, we
> think that having this is not too much to ask.

there are many other static site generators [ https://staticsitegenerators.net/
], and I'm a fan of writing/maintaining custom ones using [eg.]
http://template-toolkit.org/ , GNU make, and perl5 /  py3 / npm / XSLT / etc.

--

Shlomi Fish       https://www.shlomifish.org/
https://ccmixter.org/files/destinazione_altrove/49997 - “Paint The Sky”

I used to be arrogant. Now I’m simply perfect.
    — one of Shlomi Fish’s relatives, https://www.shlomifish.org/humour.html