Retirement of Drupal 7/8 sites (kdevelop, skrooge, blogs, behindkde)

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Sun Jan 15 07:04:18 GMT 2023

Hi all,

For some time now it has been known to us that the upgrade path from one
given Drupal major version to the next is usually a very difficult road
with lots of breakage involved.
The conversion from Drupal 7 or 8 to Drupal 9 is no different in this
regard - basically being a content export and then reimport.

Due to the level of disruption and risk of breakage involved this isn't
something done lightly but with the end of support for Drupal 8 and the
incoming end of support for Drupal 7 we need to take action on this sooner
rather later.

At this time I'm only focusing on the smaller sites, so akademy.kde.org (in
the process of moving to Hugo) and dot.kde.org (to be figured out) are out
of scope for this email.

We currently have the following sites running on Drupal 7/8:
- dot.kde.org
- akademy.kde.org
- kdevelop.org
- skrooge.org
- behindkde.org
- blogs.kde.org

Given that promo is currently not making active use of the site, at this
time my intention is to create a static archive of behindkde.org.

In the case of KDevelop and Skrooge, it would make the most sense to
convert them both into Hugo websites to minimise the long term maintenance
cost and to make them part of the KDE family of sites.
If anyone would like to work on this please contact me and I will arrange
for a sanitized database copy to be made available to you.

In the event that doesn't happen, converting them into static sites seems
like the best path forward.

For blogs.kde.org, I am in two minds as to the best approach here, with
Wordpress and Hugo both appearing as candidates for this site.
Opinions welcome, especially if you are someone that currently uses it.

Comments/thoughts?

Thanks,
Ben