State of kdevelop-python

Sven Brauch mail at svenbrauch.de
Sun Jan 30 20:49:52 GMT 2022

Hi,

On 1/30/22 20:38, Christoph Cullmann (cullmann.io) wrote:
> just out of curiosity, how does the LSP integration of the
>
> https://github.com/python-lsp/python-lsp-server
>
> in Kate compare to what we have in KDevelop?
>
> Might it make sense to improve the LSP stuff instead of working
> on having a own parser for this?

maybe, I don't know. Judging from the current state, I think LSP Python
support in Kate is pretty far from what KDevelop has in both quality of
the provided features, as well as amount of features offered.

There is no semantic highlighting; project-wide symbol lookup, at least
here, doesn't work; completion is by far not as context-sensitive as it
is in KDevelop; tooltips are weird at best and even if they were
correct, are not as featureful; there is no error reporting; etc etc.
There might be areas where it is ahead, I don't know, but getting this
to the feature set of what kdev-python had for ten years will take quite
some work.

That said, I don't disagree of course that kdevelop-python is in a
somewhat weird spot market-wise and I'm not sure how it will move
forward in the next years.

Greetings!
Sven