State of kdevelop-python

Sven Brauch mail at svenbrauch.de
Sun Jan 30 10:55:40 GMT 2022

Hi,

I just made an attempt to port kdevelop-python to Python 3.10.
Unfortunately, that's not really possible, because CPython un-exported
the C API we used to obtain an AST (it is still accessible from the
headers, but the symbols are no longer exported in the .so file -- no
idea what their plan is here, to be honest).

This seems to be a conscious decision and based on previous experiences,
chances to change anything about this are slim; CPython doesn't want
their parsing C API to be used externally.

Other than having a patched fork of Python (I don't really feel like
doing that), I honestly see few options.

Of course, one could replace the whole frontend part of kdevelop-python
with something different, but that's a quite significant amount of work
and it feels somehow questionable whether our backend is still good
enough to be worth that.

Anyways, this is just to inform you about this somewhat sad state of
affairs.

All the best,
Sven