Going to propose move to Release team on Friday PM (was: Re: Moving KDevelop to Release service coverage?)

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Wed Oct 27 22:32:32 BST 2021

Am Mittwoch, 20. Oktober 2021, 20:22:55 CEST schrieb Friedrich W. H. Kossebau:
> Thursday, November 4, is the Dependency Freeze for KDE Gear 21.12 (see
> https://community.kde.org/Schedules/KDE_Gear_21.12_Schedule) so I would like
> to have a decision in time for that, i.e. setting a deadline here of WE
> 30/31 October. Already going in parallel to ask Release service workers
> about the potential move, so things are prepared in case.
>
> So, who would be in favour, who would not be in favour?

Thanks everyone for your replies, here and on #kdevelop.

Thus far everyone but one is in favour, with replies from all who I would have
at least historically considered part of what is a maintainer team :)

Francis raised a major concern about the unclear or missing handling of cases
for need of emergency releases in the scope of KDE Gear. I picked that up and
started a discussion at
    https://marc.info/?l=kde-release-team&m=163511985002117&w=2
and am currently seeing to draft a solution based on the current release
tools. So that concern is currently not resolved. Yet Franice also did not
want to make this the only reason to block the move if no-one else was
opposing in general. And so while I share the concern, I propose to handle
this as non-blocking now as well, with a bit of optimism there will be a
generic KDE Gear solution in the near future.

Then there is the open question what to do with the version numbers, both for
the app version as well as the ABI/API version for plugins. I would expect
though we can sort this out before November 25 latest, which would be the
21.12 RC tagging day (December 2 then 21.12.0 tagging). The initial version
adaption patches I made as MRs are not perfect, but would serve as fallback
solution without blocking future better approaches, I think,

So I would move on and propose the move of KDevelop to Release service to the
Release service team officially this Friday, 29th, CEST afternoon, so there is
some time before Nov 4th on their side to consider any issues about such move.

So once also ack'ed by them, this will then become the release schedule for
the next KDevelop releases:
    https://community.kde.org/Schedules/KDE_Gear_21.12_Schedule

Cheers
Friedrich