Request for estimation cost/price of creation KDevelop plugin for D language

Energo Koder energokoder at adres.pl
Sun Apr 4 07:15:23 BST 2021

Hello!
I am keen to learn some thing better/newer language than C++ but still
with C++ key advantages. So natural way will be learn (and possible
switch) to D lang. But there is one main advantage: AFAIK all IDEs
integrations are broken or outdated. So I think why not create D lang
plugin to powerful KDevelop?

For now I am C++ programmer and Qt is on the list of my specializations.
But I have no time to dig in KDevelop plugin system. So I think I can
spend some reasonable amount of money in order to bring D lang plugin to
the community.

So I will ask you (the KDevelop community) what are your expectations
about salary for make such plugin.

I have list of required features. It is divided to two parts: essential
and optional. Please estimate cost for them separately.

KDevelop D lang plugin required features:
+ Respect content and follow changes in dub project file definitions
(dub project file must be main project file - other files, eg. specific
for KDevelp, must be regenerated after each change to this main project
file);
+ Compilation in outside source code directory (standard in Qt Creator
and possibly in other IDEs);
+ Compiler choice: dmd, gdc, ldc;
+ Input for optional compiler flags;
+ Input for optional build environment variables;
+ Input for optional build steps (before and after compilation);
+ Compilation mode: release, debug;
+ Run and stop application in release mode;
+ Run and stop application in debug mode, and break execution when:
     + Program reach of breakpoint places;
     + I decide to hang in debuger current execution place (useful when
program hangs in loop)
+ Investigate local variables in debuger;
+ Investigate class variables of local objects in debuger;

KDevelop D lang plugin optional features:
+ Syntax highlighting;
+ Context navigation in code;
+ Auto diagnosis:
     + Environment configuration:
         + All required tools are installed and available in correct
versions in the system;
         + What optional tools are available or not;
         + Short explanation of consequences above for user (D programmer).
     + Current project configuration;
         + All required libs/packages are installed and available in
correct versions;
         + Short explanation of consequences above for user (D programmer).

Please consider following requirements of this project:

Project standards:
+ Simple and idiot resistant installation, configuration and auto
diagnosis reporting;
+ Documentation:
     + Architecture;
     + Algorithms;
     + Tricks.

Target platforms:
+ Recent Kubuntu LTS;
+ Recent Kubuntu.

Warranty:
+ At least 1 year bug fix maintenance service.

Implementation hints:
There is tool dub which can generate AVS project tree in order to
implement context code navigation.
The same tool is used for code colloring, but probably KDevelop require
something else.

Thanks and respect!
Energo Koder