KDevelop 5.6 beta 1 released

René J. V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 16:27:19 BST 2020

David Redondo wrote:

> the feature as it works now uses the same method for querying about errors and
> updating as other plugins. Notice that the squiggly lines also only disappear
> after a reparse.

Yeah, I noticed that, and overall this feedback can also be distracting but less
so since it doesn't add text.

As a side-note: the diagnostic popups also become counterproductive when you try
to address the error as they all other prevent context browser popups from
appearing. So you have, say, a type or arguments error, and it won't let you
check what the correct type or arguments list would be. At some point in the
past I managed to patch this in such a way that the diagnostics popup only
showed when hovering over an otherwise empty part of the line. IIRC the patch
was rejected and I'm not certain why I haven't been maintaining it.

> I didn't have much time for KDevelop in the last time and
> would have to check if it is feasible to not show an inline note in the line
> that is currently being edited.

It should be possible to disable all during the editing but the redraw that this
requires could be annoying too (esp. if it repositions the text). It would have
the added benefit of not putting up errors about half-finished code as happens
now. It would be trickier to come up with a good definition of "currently being
edited"... and re: that topic: is the configurable parsing delay floating? I have
the impression it isn't because even set to 1.5 or 2 seconds I still get
transient errors about non-existing headerfiles when typing #include statements.
Also: how would you handle breaking the current line, or joining it with the
previous or next? QtCreator has a "focus" feature that uses language scopes
which is quite nifty. Maybe the most workable solution would be to implement a
similar concept and provide a hotkey to toggle the display of most (or all)
diagnostic feedback in the current block?

> Of course if you find the feature useful not useful in any way or if it
> distracts you to much, you can disable it in the Language Support settings.

I ended up doing just that (also because a good part of the time the most
interesting part of the messages was offscreen), sorry...

R.