Increasing Qt dependency in master

Igor Kushnir igorkuo at gmail.com
Sat Oct 31 11:49:59 GMT 2020

On 2020-10-31 13:38, Pierre-Olivier Roy wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I am new here, I was using kdevelop for my project, since a few things
> were bothering me (mostly differences in options between remote and
> local debugging), I decided I would have look at the source code.
>
> I managed to build kdevelop using kdesrc-build, which had issues with
> a kdevelop qtwebkit dependency, since kdesrc-build uses Qt 5.15, and
> qtwebkit is only available up to Qt 5.9. I had to manually compile
> qtwebkit 5.9 against qtcore 5.15 to get it to work.
>
> Following qmake output if qtwebkit is missing:
> -- The following REQUIRED packages have not been found:
>  * Qt5WebKitWidgets, <https://qt.io/>
>    QtWebKit, for integrated documentation
> git show -> commit f124dab2c4423a1dfb5052c4c6fec276ac4bfb23 (HEAD ->
> master, origin/master, origin/HEAD)
>
> So about this version bump, is this qtwebkit dependency really
> required for documentation? Clicking on User Manual opened a window in
> Firefox for me.
> Or do distribution provides qtwebkit even when deprecated by their Qt
> versions?

Hi Pierre-Olivier Roy!

KDevelop is built against Qt WebEngine by default. Qt WebEngine is
included in all recent Qt versions. Only if Qt WebEngine is missing,
KDevelop falls back to the alternative Qt WebKit dependency.

KDevelop uses Qt Web(Engine|Kit) for code documentation (Documentation
tool view), not for the User Manual.

And yes, many distributions package Qt WebKit built from
https://github.com/qtwebkit/qtwebkit against their Qt versions. For
example:
https://github.com/archlinux/svntogit-packages/blob/packages/qt5-webkit/trunk/PKGBUILD

Cheers,