How do you debug KDevelop in KDevelop?

Igor Kushnir igorkuo at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 20:01:58 BST 2020

On 2020-03-30 00:32, Milian Wolff wrote:
> Afaik we nowadays could actually support a setup that doesn't depend on
> installation. Again, it's something we need to work on but it is definitely
> possible - esp. considering that we unified kdevelop + kdevplatform into one
> big repo. What is needed is ensuring that the binary, library and plugins all
> go to the "right" relative paths in the build dir, then everything should work
> magically I believe. Definitely something that would be appreciated if you
> could work on it!

I think I can take care of this in the future. For now Ninja solves most
of my debugging issues quite well. Here is what I changed in the setup
described in my first email:
1. In build configuration->CMake set extra arguments to -GNinja.
2. Set CMake Configure environment (but not the launch configuration
Environment) to the default environment (with two variables: CC=gcc and
CXX=g++).
3. In the launch configuration set the Dependencies Action to "Build and
Install" and select the top level kdevelop directory as the only target.
4. After each source code modification that needs testing press F9
(customized from Alt+F9) to Debug OR Shift+F9 to execute without
debugging. Now that Ninja builds and installs the unmodified code in 2
seconds, I don't mind wasting this little time when I relaunch KDevelop
without source code changes.

Cheers,
Igor