D18551: clang: Create preamble only on second parse

René J.V. Bertin noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Wed Mar 4 09:18:42 GMT 2020

rjvbb added a comment.

  Re: the time and resources spent by the background parser when you'd rather not:

  Didn't earlier versions (< 5.4 at least) add background parser jobs to the job tracker thingy that allows to stop ongoing activity via the 2 buttons (selective & "all") in the taskbar? I seem to recall that I could cancel at least the pending parser jobs which sometimes comes in quite handy.

  Maybe that job tracker and its buttons should be moved out of the build and into an overall context, so they can be used to cancel any kind of background of activity that can be cancelled (project loading jobs also show up in there already)?

  Rather than adding heuristics to the current code that aims for a compromise between apparently irreconcilable requirements it'd allow the user to intervene to prevent unjustifiable resource waste. And if after such an intervention s/he has to wait a little bit longer for parsing information to become available, well, at least they'd know why, right? NB: this wouldn't change anything for users who never even look at the job buttons.

REPOSITORY
  R32 KDevelop

REVISION DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/D18551