D18551: clang: Create preamble only on second parse

Aaron Puchert noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sun Feb 2 18:23:18 GMT 2020

aaronpuchert added a comment.

  To keep this short I didn't reply to the parts I completely agree with.

  In D18551#604249 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D18551#604249>, @mwolff wrote:

  > > Now I actually have `/tmp` as tmpfs, and so these 400 MB don't come for free. This is perfectly fine when I'm actually working on these files, but so far I have only opened KDevelop.
  >
  > I see. The problem really is that the preamble files shouldn't be written to /tmp then - it would be perfectly fine to move them to a temp dir on the disk I think - it would still be faster than having to redo the work.

  There are arguments for both in-memory and on-disk, it depends on how much memory there is. I have another more more generously sized machine where the files are perfectly fine in RAM.

  I think `/tmp` is correct by the FHS <https://refspecs.linuxfoundation.org/FHS_3.0/fhs/ch03s18.html> and `/var/tmp` wouldn't be appropriate <https://refspecs.linuxfoundation.org/FHS_3.0/fhs/ch05s15.html>. I could easily put this on disk if I wanted to. I just wanted to make the argument that resource usage is a concern, and that there is some benefit in limiting ourselves to the preambles that we need.

  >>> I mean: We trigger a reparse when we open a document, to get hold of the clang TU to do code completion. If this *does not* create a preamble, then the following call to query code completion items - *after* editing - will create the preamble. The preamble only includes the headers of the file, not the contents of the `.cpp`.
  >>
  >> Well, then why don't we just skip the initial reparse, and only reparse after the first edit?
  >
  > Yes, I agree that we should try this out. Note that this will require changes in `clang/codecompletion/model.cpp` at least, potentially also in other places. I.e. right now this code relies on the fact that we trigger a reparse after opening a document. This then allows us to write code like this there:
  >
  >   auto top = DUChainUtils::standardContextForUrl(m_url);
  >   if (!top) {
  >       qCWarning(KDEV_CLANG) << "No context found for" << m_url;
  >       return;
  >   }
  >
  >   ParseSessionData::Ptr sessionData(ClangIntegration::DUChainUtils::findParseSessionData(top->url(), m_index->translationUnitForUrl(top->url())));
  >
  >   if (!sessionData) {
  >       // TODO: trigger reparse and re-request code completion
  >       qCWarning(KDEV_CLANG) << "No parse session / AST attached to context for url" << m_url;
  >       return;
  >   }
  >

  > If we only attach the AST after the first edit, it won't be enough. We will also have to trigger a reparse and force attaching the AST/parse session data when code completion is explicitly requested via `ctrl + space` without editing.

  How bad would it be if we don't do that and only provide KTextEditor-completions before the first edit? I think it's pretty rare that code completion is immediately requested, typically one starts with a line break, or by removing code, before new code is written.

  >>> You usually edit the `.cpp` file and then you want to get code completion results immediately.
  >>
  >> We're talking about a one-time delay, all further edits will have a preamble.
  >
  > Yes, but the patch proposed here in its current form just disables the preamble always, no? So I think we agree that this isn't good enough?

  It shouldn't, unless I'm misunderstanding our usage of `libclang`. Without the flag <https://clang.llvm.org/doxygen/group__CINDEX__TRANSLATION__UNIT.html#ggab1e4965c1ebe8e41d71e90203a723fe9aa27840716b90a9346019c9f0914f9ab8>, the preamble is created not on the first parse, but on the first reparse of a file. Meaning there is no preamble when I just open a file, but as soon as I edit and the IDE triggers a reparse, the preamble is created and used for subsequent reparsing.

  Let's do some math to clarify this. Let

  - //t_all// be the time needed to parse a source without preamble,
  - //t_source// be the time needed to parse a source with preamble, and
  - //t_preamble// be the time needed to serialize the preamble.

  Obviously //t_source < t_all//. Then the times look as follows:

  |           | Time for opening       | Time after first reparse          | Time after //n//-th reparse                   |
  | Old       | //t_all + t_preamble// | //t_all + t_source + t_preamble// | //t_all + n · t_source + t_preamble//         |
  | New       | //t_all//              | //2 · t_all + t_preamble//        | //2 · t_all + (n-1) · t_source + t_preamble// |
  | New - Old | //-t_preamble//        | //t_all - t_source//              | //t_all - t_source//                          |

  Now let //m_read// be the number of documents that are only being read and //m_write// the number of documents being read and written. Then the cost difference is //m_write · (t_all - t_source) - m_read · t_preamble//, which is negative iff //m_write / m_read <  t_preamble / (t_all - t_source)//. The right-hand side is a constant that depends on the nature of the project and the hardware one is working on:

  - //t_all// and //t_source// include reading from disk or page cache and doing some heavy CPU work, the difference between them is the parsing of the header files,
  - //t_preamble// includes a bit of CPU work and writing to a file (which might be on disk).

  The left-hand side depends on usage patterns. I use KDevelop a lot to read and browse code without doing any changes, so this would very likely benefit me. But I might be alone in that.

REPOSITORY
  R32 KDevelop

REVISION DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/D18551