Scheduling 5.6.0 for 20.09?

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Thu Aug 6 16:42:31 BST 2020

Hi Milian & all other KDevelop contributors,

half a year has passed since the last feature release (Feb 20th).

So I propose to branch off 5.6 at the end of next week and release the 5.6.0
three weeks later, to flush to users relying on releases the small additions
done in the last months.  Also make 5.5 EOL (unless grave bugs appear).

And while I have almost no time reserved for KDevelop (like feature
development or even reviews :/ ), that little time should be enough to apply
my release muscle memories to help out with the release once more (to make
this a constructive proposal :) ).

Proposed schedule:

Sunday, August 16th (CEST evening):
* branch off 5.6 from master
* string freeze in 5.6 branch

Monday, August 17th:
* 5.6 Beta 1 release

Monday, September 7th  (3 weeks after Beta 1):
* 5.6.0 release, unless release blockers found

If I hear no objections until proposed branching day, I would execute this
plan :)

Cheers
Friedrich