New release coordinator wanted for KDevelop 5.5

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Mon Nov 4 19:14:40 GMT 2019

Hi,

looking into the future, I see myself will not have time & concentration
reserved to care for doing further KDevelop releases (or other contributions)
for now.
5.4.5 in December & 5.4.6 in January would be the last releases I plan to do
still (given new commits of course).
The time window where I could pay back by adding my bits on improving this
good code editing tool named KDevelop sadly closes for now, other priorities
have been growing over, and it currently works "good enough" for me :)

So if you, dear (even if only aspiring) contributor, ever have considered to
step up and take some responsibility where it is needed, this is now when :)
Poke the official KDevelop maintainers while they are around ;)

Do you need to be special or have lots of time to do releases? No.
Doing a complete release from tarring to announcement, once having done the
first and taking notes relative to personal setup, can just take as little as
half an hour thanks to lots of scripts, if all works well (just don't do when
tired ;) ).
https://community.kde.org/KDevelop/Release_Process is the place where any
KDevelop release dudes have been trading their raw "secret" sauce recipe, from
which one then can do their own flavoured script.
And packagers are friendly, they will help you to do proper doses where
needed, so you can become a proper release cook quickly.

Also sorry for not having done any review work for a while, even where
promised. Which is a shame given some interesting and possibly well done
patches are waiting on
  https://invent.kde.org/kde/kdevelop/merge_requests
and some also still on phabricator.

Perhaps KDevelop needs to officially pass on to the new generation of
developers, like those who did those patches should step up and enter the
bridge of the KDevelop ship and take steering duties :)

But your call, as I have now hereby entered into the schedule my deboarding in
the next weeks. I will leave a suitcase somewhere though ;)

Cheers
Friedrich