D17289: KDevelop/Shell: set dedicated TMPDIR

René J.V. Bertin noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Fri Mar 15 10:07:54 GMT 2019

rjvbb added a comment.

  Milian Wolff wrote on 20190312::20:02:54 re: "D17289 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D17289>: KDevelop/Shell: set dedicated TMPDIR"

  >   > - request some sort of libclang::setTmpDir() function (and hope it becomes available this lifetime)
  >
  >   I doubt they'll ever add that. We have much more useful features waiting in review limbo for a long time.

  Maybe they don't have the same view of what's useful?

  >> to something specific that will then be applied to all processes spawned by KDevelop too. I have a local patch (rejected long ago) that applies the selected default profile and it's been working just fine for me.
  >

  >   Do it right, or don't do it.

  What's that supposed to mean? The patch wasn't rejected because of the feature (applying a profile apparently intended only for child processes), not because of its implementation.

  >   > - a list of variables to unset (if that's not already possible by leaving their value entry empty)
  >
  >   setting to empty should do it

  So how do you set a variable without a value? It may sound weird but who's to guarantee that no software ever distinguishes a variable set to an empty value vs. any other value?

  >   > - a list of variables to cache at startup along with syntax to use these cached values (probably relevant only if profile is applied at startup)
  >
  >   no, use a batch/bash script instead

  And do what in the script? Besides, a script is suitable solution only on platforms where you launch KDevelop from the commandline and not via some sort of graphical shell.

REPOSITORY
  R32 KDevelop

REVISION DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/D17289