code completion popup populating

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Sun Mar 10 18:52:11 GMT 2019

On Mittwoch, 27. Februar 2019 15:35:29 CET René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there any way to avoid getting a wrong hit from the code completion
> popup, i.e. some unforeseen entry that gets inserted under the cursor
> *after* you hit the Enter key but before that event is processed? That
> happens way too often to me and it frankly makes me want to deactivate the
> whole feature. Can we know when the list is complete and enable selection
> only from that moment, for instance?

I agree that this is currently quite bad, usability wise. The current
architecture isn't well thought-through in this regard. We can't know that
more items come in, since the model could be extended at any time!

Long-term, we will need to refactor that code thoroughly to better prevent
issues like this.

For now, I think a bit of hackery could already improve the situation
slightly. I.e. only let the user activate an item after it was shown for more
than X ms or something like that. That should solve your specific issue. For
me, I don't think the items get added after pressing enter. Rather, I press
enter shortly after the item got added and then the wrong item gets inserted.

Are you up for that?

--
Milian Wolff
mail at milianw.de