D22559: Bump min dep versions of Qt & KF to 5.9 & 5.44

Aaron Puchert noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sat Jul 20 14:06:59 BST 2019

aaronpuchert added a comment.

  In D22559#498026 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D22559#498026>, @kfunk wrote:

  > I do not think bumping versions "just because " has any value.

  I kind of agree here. Unless we have features that we know are only available with a certain version, we might needlessly restrict how people can build this. They might assume we have a good reason for choosing that specific version and that older versions can't possibly work. When I package stuff for openSUSE, I would never try decreasing minimum versions of dependencies, because I assume that these are actually the minimum. On the other hand, I regularly stumble across software that doesn't specify minimum versions for dependencies, but assumes it's "reasonably recent".

  It makes sense to test with some version of Qt & KF so that we can guarantee it works there, but that doesn't mean we have to bump the minimum versions in the CMake config. Perhaps a warning might make sense that this isn't tested, but I wouldn't want to error out.

REPOSITORY
  R32 KDevelop

BRANCH
  bumpqtkfmin