Scheduling releases of 5.4.0 and 5.3.3

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Fri Jul 5 16:01:23 BST 2019

Hi, especially Milian, Kevin, Aleix, Sven,

seeing people adding .vscode gitignore rules to KDE projects I sense
something is not working well with KDevelop's reception in the public. even
in KDevelop's shell community KDE.

NO RELEASES IN MONTHS? HOW DEAD IS KDEVELOP?

One thing might be that releases are not happening, showing both no activity
to the public as well as not making bug fixes & other improvements finding
their way instantly to users.

LET THE RELEASES ROLL AGAIN: 5.3 NEXT WEEK?

So, let's improve here, and kick out some 5.3.3 release soonish: there are a
few commits with "fix" and translation improvements worth to get to users
(see e.g. https://cgit.kde.org/kdevelop.git/log/?h=5.3)
What about end of next week?

... AND 5.4 NEXT MONTH?

At the same time IMHO we should schedule 5.4 release for end of July. I find
it not motivating to review people's patches (where there thankfully are a
few again recently and I will see to do my share the next days) when it is
totally unsure if & when more people will gain from that review investment.

DOING SOURCE TARBALL RELEASE IS BETTER THAN NO RELEASE

I know current maintainers are short of time for KDevelop matters. And a
perfect release would include things we got used to in the past, like ready-
to-install AppImage & Windows bundle provided by KDevelop team itself.

But given no-one is around anymore who has enough time to care for those
extra services, let's at least release the minimum, source tarballs, so the
classic distributions can serve their users.
Some people happy is better than no people happy, would you not agree? :) And
once there are people again to create bundles, future releases can be
extended again to include those.

And poking for this, of course I am available to help with some workloads,
just tell me what to do. Okteta source tarball bug fix releases take me 15
minutes in total, incl. announcement email ;)

Cheers
Friedrich

PS: Seems that after all there still is a small user community out there
being attached to the joys of "kdeveloping" ;) see mentioning in
https://isocpp.org/files/papers/CppDevSurvey-2019-04-summary.pdf
Okay, landing after Kate only. But then some people do not big code-bases ;)

PPS: Thanks for your patience with all the unreviewed mass code maintenance
commits to master, it just felt bad to me to have the sources of my coding
tool be so behind the standard of the code I work on with (as well as not
being prepared for the future). and when there was an occasion, I just ran
wild & insane to go forward here, having done similar work before, thus
trained to patterns.
Of course there is some risk in all this, but next to unit tests watching I
have been and will be dog-feeding things myself all the time, and so far only
hit one mistake (before pushing thankfully), so quite relaxed that the gain
of the moderate update of the code base to the world rolling is bigger than
any potential breakage costs. And yes, flush almost over, will fill the
normal review pipelines again after that as again well-behaving contributor.
Until then thanks for your enforced trust in my work ;)