D17289: KDevelop/Shell: set dedicated TMPDIR

René J.V. Bertin noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Thu Jan 24 08:34:27 GMT 2019

rjvbb added a comment.

  >   If you don't use systemd, for example because you're not on Linux, there are certainly other tools for doing the same thing.

  How does that systemd thing clean tmp dirs at runtime, IOW, how can it know it's safe to clean up a given file if the application that created it doesn't do something explicit to guarantee cleanup?

  I'm not aware of anything like this for Mac (besides a reboot) or MSWin ...

  > a way to reset `TMP_DIR` for childs that doesn't introduce race conditions.

  How could this be a race condition?

  >   However, because of the first point, I'm actually not sure if this is worth the trouble. We shouldn't deliberately leave garbage in `/tmp`, but we don't

  I'd be fine with that if libclang never left its big pch files behind even on a clean exit. The argument that disk space is cheap doesn't really fly here because users can make certain that tmp dirs which will hold performance-critical files end up in places with stricter restrictions, like a ram disk.
  They could of course do what my patch does in a wrapper script ... but they could also just use vi and make for software development ;)

REPOSITORY
  R32 KDevelop

REVISION DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/D17289