D17289: KDevelop/Shell: set dedicated TMPDIR

René J.V. Bertin noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sat Jan 12 13:40:42 GMT 2019

rjvbb added a comment.

  >   Note that environment variables are per-process, not per-thread.

  The bg thread could cache the old value and restore it once libclang is launched. I'm not certain that's enough though. It would be if KDevelop used a clang parser client/server model like Creator does, but that's a whole different can of worms (apparently).

  IMHO we shouldn't care too much about affecting the environment of applications launched from KDevelop. I think of it as "they run in the KDevelop universe" and if that includes a specific $TMPDIR value so be it. No appliction should let its behaviour depend on where $TMPDIR is, normally, nor should it assume that the value is exclusive. Any app with special TMPDIR requirements should set it itself, not unlike I'm doing here.

  Possible middle ground: add an option to KDevelop that makes it apply the default environment profile at startup (= to itself), so that anyone can set TMPDIR in there. Or add a 2nd env. profile that's loaded at startup but I don't see a reason myself when you'd want that profile to be different.

REPOSITORY
  R32 KDevelop

REVISION DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/D17289