what about clangd?

Francis Herne mail at flherne.uk
Mon Aug 26 18:10:04 BST 2019

On Monday, 26 August 2019 17:14:32 BST Daniel Mensinger wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Aug 2019 19:51:19 +0200
>
> René J. V.  Bertin <rjvbertin at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Daniel Mensinger wrote:
> > > I basically just want to say that the Meson plugin works just fine with
> > > the current setup :)
> >
> > I'll (have to) take your word for it ;) but I am aware that it should also
> > provide a fully functional parser.
> > I did try to backport your contribution to my 5.3 branch fork, a bit after
> > it was committed and (supposedly O:-)) functional. Was easy enough,
> > except that it has only ever imported empty projects for me.
> >
> > Annoyingly I've just discovered that the official LLVM.org DEB packages do
> > not seem to provide clangd, making tinkering with LSP support less
> > interesting (to me)...
> >
> > R.
>
> There were some bugs initially, but if you backport it now (and have
> meson>=0.51.0) it should work out of the box.
>
> With parser do you mean a meson.build parser for syntax highlighting? If
> yes, then writing one should be possible (the syntax is fairly simple). My
> only issue is that I have no expirience with the KDevelop parser
> infrastructure. Is there some documentation (besides staring at other code
> andthe comments in the interfaces)?
>
> Daniel

I think that's a misreading - would interpret RJVB's "it should also provide a
fully functional parser" as an acknowledgement that the Meson plugin should
already provide enough information for kdev-clang to parse projects correctly.

But anyway...

For basic highlighting, there's some information on the ksyntaxhighlighting
XML format here:
https://docs.kde.org/stable5/en/applications/katepart/highlight.html

This already seems to exist for Meson, see Tools -> Highlighting -> Other ->
Meson, the source file is:
https://cgit.kde.org/syntax-highlighting.git/tree/data/syntax/meson.xml

If you want a fancy semantic-analysis parser using the DUChain, the generated
docs are here (note the inconspicuous <Overview | Design | Implementing |
Using> tabs):
https://api.kde.org/extragear-api/kdevelop-apidocs/kdevelop/kdevplatform/
language/duchain/html/duchain-design.html

-Francis