D15532: [Astyle] Add Objective C to list of languages with formatters

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Fri Sep 21 05:12:21 BST 2018

kossebau added a comment.

  In D15532#328829 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D15532#328829>, @rjvbb wrote:

  > >   C is not a subset of C++ (let me point to Mr. Stroustrup who should know it :)
  >
  > I wouldn't call it that either (it'd be degrading for C ;)), but C++ does inherit from C (and was a layer on top of C in its early days, IIRC with a sort of preprocessor).
  >
  > In fact, Mr Stroustrup does say basically the same thing:
  >
  >   Except for a few examples [...], C++ is a superset of C.

  Well, what matters to me is that C++ itself is not a strict(!) superset :) But actually this is also not that relevant here, as the actual problem is this: the shared-mime-info meaning of inherits is "is-a". E.g,

  C inherits PlainText inherits Octetstream -> C is-a PlainText is-a Octetsteam. So e.g. any handlers (like viewers) of a given format can also handle files of a format that inherits from it.

  C++ inherits C, as currently claimed in s-m-i, woule mean: C++ is-a C. Which would mean C++ is a subset of C. Which is the reverse of what we have talked about above, no? :)

  >> Agreed, that's what my current patch tries to do.
  >
  > Up for review already?

  No, still trying variants, being unhappy with code amount.

REPOSITORY
  R32 KDevelop

REVISION DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/D15532